[Trisquel-devel] New Trisquel 8 development images

Dave Hunt dahunt at posteo.de
Mon Jan 8 21:06:41 CET 2018

I'll address some of your comments in-line, especially regarding the
screen reader.

On 01/07/2018 07:11 PM, Lee Strobel wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I've just done some testing on the new Trisquel 8 ISO, which I would
> like to report on. I installed it on an x86 virtual machine using Qemu.
>
>  One comment is that the ISO menu for the disk image still says
> Trisquel 7'.

I hope this is an easy text fix, and doesn't get forgotten.

> - During boot, the Trisquel logo on the Plymouth boot image has a black
> box around it, which doesn't look very nice (I think this happened on
> both the live USB and the final install).
Though this problem doesn't effect system functionality, it should get
fixed; there's no second chance to make a first impression.

> - I tried the screen reader and it seemed to work ok; however, I do not
> normally use it and don't know how it normally behaves. It was reading
> out text as I was typing and describing application menu items. It
> didn't read out the 'tooltip' description for buttons when I hovered
> over them; however, I don't know if it should be doing that or not.
In its default setup, the screen reader does not read tooltips, but5 fan
be setup to do so.  I don't normally hover the mouse, so, didn't notice
how this was set; thanks for testing something I overlooked.

> - The screen reader was on by default when I booted up for the first
> time (in contrast to David's report); however, I couldn't figure out
> how to turn it off in the GUI menu.
There normally isn't a way to do this in the main menus; you can do this
in system settings->universal access.  If this option is missing, that
should be corrected.  The stand way to kill the screen reader is with
the keystroke:  'alt+super+s'.  That should work in the login screen as
well; will check.  I wonder if, instead of automatically activating the
screen reader, we play a sound to indicate the desktop is ready?  Users
can, then, turn the screen reader with the standard keys, or not.

> - The screen magnifier seemed to work ok, although I noted similar
> behaviour to what Pablo reported, where it stops following the mouse if
> you let go of the button outside its window and you have to go back
> into its window if you want to 'grab' it again. It doesn't seem like
> ideal behaviour; however, the magnifier is not something I typically
> use, so I don't know how it is supposed to behave.

I need to get more frequent users of the magnifier to try this, since,
I, too, don't know how this is supposed to work.

> - Question: why are there two calculators installed by default
> (Calculator and galculator)?
I can't find the difference, either; anyone else know this one?

> - One of the options in the GUI menu is 'Icedove --> Thunderbird',
> which seemed to just open Thunderbird, so I'm not sure what the purpose
> of that is.
Maybe a redundancy made by the build system?