[Trisquel-devel] New Trisquel 8 development images

Lee Strobel leestrobel at disroot.org
Mon Jan 8 01:11:39 CET 2018

Hi Everyone,

I've just done some testing on the new Trisquel 8 ISO, which I would
like to report on. I installed it on an x86 virtual machine using Qemu.

- One comment is that the ISO menu for the disk image still says
'Trisquel 7'.

- During boot, the Trisquel logo on the Plymouth boot image has a black
box around it, which doesn't look very nice (I think this happened on
both the live USB and the final install).

- The system seemed to install well for the most part; however, what
looked like a handful of errors flashed past on the narrow console
output window on the installer. Is there an installer log file anywhere
that might have captured these messages?

- After installation, the system booted up fine with no apparent
issues. I tried all of the applications and options that were in the
GUI menu and, for the most part, everything seemed very stable and
worked well, with a handful of exceptions, which I will describe below.

- When I tried to reload the package info in Synaptic, it gave me an
error, saying that it 'Could not download all repository indexes' (I
will attach a screenshot). I also got a similar error message in the
language support window, when I tried to download available language
info, so perhaps those are linked? It may possibly be something to do
with the fact that I was running it in a virtual machine; however, I
verified that the internet connection was being passed to the VM when I
checked the web browser.

- I tried the screen reader and it seemed to work ok; however, I do not
normally use it and don't know how it normally behaves. It was reading
out text as I was typing and describing application menu items. It
didn't read out the 'tooltip' description for buttons when I hovered
over them; however, I don't know if it should be doing that or not.

- The screen reader was on by default when I booted up for the first
time (in contrast to David's report); however, I couldn't figure out
how to turn it off in the GUI menu.

- The screen magnifier seemed to work ok, although I noted similar
behaviour to what Pablo reported, where it stops following the mouse if
you let go of the button outside its window and you have to go back
into its window if you want to 'grab' it again. It doesn't seem like
ideal behaviour; however, the magnifier is not something I typically
use, so I don't know how it is supposed to behave.

- Question: why are there two calculators installed by default
(Calculator and galculator)?

- The Redshift application gave an error when I tried to open it (I
will attach a screenshot).

- One of the options in the GUI menu is 'Icedove --> Thunderbird',
which seemed to just open Thunderbird, so I'm not sure what the purpose
of that is.

- Under 'MATE Tweak > Interface', if I change the panel layout then I
couldn't find an easy way to change it back again to the default that I
started with. The default Trisquel 8 panel layout doens't appear to be
included in the list of named options.

- Also with the 'MATE Tweak > Interface': the 'openSUSE' and
'UbuntuMATE' panel layout options give errors when I tried to select
them.

I think that is it for now. Once the Synaptic issue has been resolved
then I will try installing some other packages and try out one or two
of the other languages.

Regards,

Lee