[Trisquel-devel] New Trisquel 8 development images

Lee Strobel leestrobel at disroot.org
Wed Jan 10 02:23:23 CET 2018

Hi Dave,

Thanks for responding to my testing report.

In terms of the ISO image menu screen, I had a look at it again just
now and the 'Trisquel 7.0' there looks like it is part of the
background image that is being used. In which case, that may need an
artwork change to fix. I agree that that and the boot splash image are
not critical, although as you say, presentation is important and things
would look more professional if they were fixed.

Regarding the screen reader, I have Trisquel 7 installed on my desktop
PC, so I tried it on there. It also doesn't seem to read text or
tooltips on a mouse-over, as with Trisquel 8. You mentioned that it is
possible to configure it to do that; however, I wasn't able to find
that in the gui setup options. In Trisquel 7, as you say, it is
possible to turn off the screen reader in the 'System Settings' >
'Universal Access' panel. However, I can't find a similar option in
Trisquel 8. It has a setup panel labelled 'Assistive Technologies
Preferences'; however, there doesn't appear to be an option there to
enable/disable the screen reader. alt-super-s does appear to work in
Trisquel 8 though, as you suggested.

Regarding the screen magnifier, I read the man page for it (xzoom),
which is not very long. It seems to be behaving pretty much as it
describes. To re-position the zoomed area, you are supposed to click
the LMB inside the magnifier window and then drag it to the area you
want magnified, where it will stay after you release the mouse button,
until you click and drag again from the magnifier window. I also
installed and tried out the Trisquel 7 version. One difference I noted
there was that, on Trisquel 7, when dragging from the magnifier window,
there was a frame visible that followed the mouse cursor to show the
area that would be magnified. However, on T8, this frame didn't seem to
be visible outside of the magnifier window, which made it more
difficult to position. I don't know what might be causing that.

Other than this testing, is there anything else I can do to help
assist? I guess I can try to investigate further into some of these
issues, to see if I can help to resolve them?

Regards,

Lee