[Trisquel-devel] New Trisquel 8 development images

Pablo Correa Gómez ablocorrea at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 2 19:59:04 CET 2018

I have been testing both the Spanish and the Swedish translations,
gnome-app-install, onboard keyboard as well as the screen magnifier.
Mostly everything went well, many things got fixed compared to the
image before and there were little outstanding bugs:

 -The most important one is that when installing support for swedish
through System->Preferences->Personal->"Languages support", Abrowser
locale didn't get installed, so I had to install it with the terminal
for Abrowser to be in Swedish. I didn't have the same behaviour with
Spanish, but I installed the virtual machine in Spanish instead of
installing it in English and then installing Spanish support with the
method above mentioned. I also installed German support the same way as
Swedish and again, the german locale for Abrowser didn't get installed,
so it is probably a bug in that feature.

 -gnome-app-install works on the newer image while it doesn't in the
old one that I am writing from. However, I still get the warnings and
errors attached when running it from the command line and moving around
and installing some programs. It looks like both canberra-gtk-module
and topmenu-gtk-module are dependencies for the program but are not
listed in the metadata. Installing them by hand didn't fix any of the
other erros.

 -In the main menu there are still some things lacking translation to
both Spanish and Swedish and are showed in English:
     --Accessories->Onboard. In addition, it showed the Spanish
keyboard (which is the one I have in my laptop, maybe it can detect the
layout?) instead of the Swedish one. Same behaviour was achieved after
installing German, it would still show the Spanish layout.
     --Accessories->"Screen Magnifier"
     --Accessories->"Pluma Text Editor"
     --System->Help. However, the help was perfectly available in
Spanish and Swedish.
     --System->Preferences->"Look and feel"->Mate tweak. It has
probably been commented before and there is a bug issued, but it is
still impossible to go back to the default Trisquel appearance once it
is modified, as it isn't listed as a template.

 -In the control center everything under Administration is only in
English but Add/Remove Applications, that has a Spanish translation but
not a Swedish translation.

 -In the main menu, the following items where lacking translation to
Swedish, so there were in Spanish (second chosen language) while not to
Spanish and German:
     --System->Preferences->Others->"IBus Preferences"
     --Places->Computer,Network,"MATE Search Tool"

 -The screen magnifier works as it says in the man page. However, the
funcionality is quite odd, as everytime you stop holding the mouse left
button outside its window, it stops following the mouse. I have never
used a screen magnifier before, but it doesn't look like an ideal
situation. However, it looks like it is not something easy to fix, so I
hope I'm wrong.

I also tested VPN connections as well as the ath9k firmware and it
worked out of the box. In the following days I will try the cdrom read-
write functionality.

Cheers,
Pablo.