[Trisquel-devel] Trisquel Mini: Post-beta test

Rubén Rodríguez ruben at trisquel.info
Fri May 14 15:12:25 CEST 2010

> --A few applications have translation issues (previously mentioned)

Yes, but once installed most of them should be gone, as the installer
downloads extra translations. I'm thinking about including them in the
CD, we have plenty of space and the unused translations are removed
during install.

> --The panel is too small, even for low (ex. 1024 x 768) resolutions.

This is intentional, it works better for netbooks with small vertical
resolution screens.

> It should have a height of 28 px with 26 px icons

That sizes doesn't look right to me.

> --mtPaint tooltip description should be simplified to: Edit pixel art
> and digital photos

That is not an important issue, we should not modify the packages unless
it is very needed.

> --There is no trash icon (I realize this is a limitation of pcmanfm).
> All deleting is permanent. Apparently, there is a high priority issue
> in LXDE and is getting worked on, along with the auto-mounting and
> screensaver issues I mention below. See: http://wiki.lxde.org/en/To_Do

We can only wait.

> --Gnome-help does not work (is it left uninstalled to conserve space?)
> --Yelp is left uninstalled (Gnumeric relies on it to display offline
> help, and perhaps other applications also)

Those are both the same issue. We can include back yelp, I thought no
apps were needing it.

> --"Add and Remove Applications" is missing

Yes, I didn't include it since it does not work well by now.

> --Panel icons for the laptop battery and minimizing all windows need
> to be changed to the ones from the Trisquel theme

The battery one is the Trisquel theme one, just very small. I'll try
to change the other one.

> --USB startup disk creator (~0.3 MB) is missing

Yes, that one needs some rebranding.

> --In software sources, under Updates tab: "Show new distribution
> releases" should be changed from "Long Term Support releases only" to
> "normal releases"

Hmmm, since this is a LTS release, I'm not sure about that.

> --We need a scanner applications (preferably simple-scan)

Adding.

> --The digital clock on the panel should be displayed in bold font.

I agree, it looks better.

> Also, the clock format could be improved. Currently it displays 24
> hr. "military time". For it to display common 12-hour time with AM or
> PM, change the Clock Format input text to: %l:%M %p

I don't know which one is the most common internationally.

> --Spell check does not work at all in either Abiword or Epiphany

You need to install the language pack, same issue as the translations.

> --There is no system monitoring application. For about 1 MB, Hardinfo
> (homepage: http://wiki.hardinfo.org/HomePage) a powerful and neat
> application, can be added, and it includes Htop.

Looks nice.

> --Currently, there are no screensavers. Do you think it is worth the
> 7.5 MB?

Screensavers are pointless, it is better to blank the screen and shut
it down. We have them in the desktop edition, but for small and old
computers we should rely on the power manager.

> --Screenshots cannot be taken (although it isn't worth the 40 MB of
> dependencies)

Including xfce4-screenshooter should be enough.

> --In a bunch of different applications, external links to online help
> or whatever do not work because they can't find child process
> "firefox". It needs to be set to work with Epiphany.
> --The Epiphany ogg player (tested on Wikimedia Commons .ogg music and
> the gnu.org Stephen Fry video) does not show the time position and is
> unable to seek forwards or backwards

We will probably move to Midori. Please install and test it.

> --CDs and external drives do not mount when properly connected

We can only wait for lxde to implement it, or find an alternative
automount daemon.