[Trisquel-devel] riscv64 for trisquel 12?

Luis Guzman ark at switnet.org
Sat Mar 30 20:29:42 UTC 2024

Hi again!,

En 30/03/24 06:13, Simon Josefsson escribió:
> Hi.  What would it take to enable riscv64 when we import 24.04 as the
> base for trisquel 12?

Talking from my own point of view,  need more people involved on the
development team.

I'm glad to see that there is an increase on the users reporting issues,
and some testing changes, which is great, but we still lack some hands
fixing them.

I'll be setting some starting guides in order to point out new users /
developers that would like to join the development effort, I'm still
pondering on what would be the best approach ;-)

> While still a fairly experimental platform, I
> think that during the lifespan of trisquel 12 the riscv64 platform may
> become an important target.  It would be nice to include riscv64
> packages from Ubuntu directly from the start when we import noble.

Ecne might be a great opportunity for it, definitely something to
discuss about next time the dev team meets.

> I have a Milk-V Pioneer box that I could give out a Debian VM on for
> porting.  These machines seems to be readily available in stock
> commercially, and I may be able to arrange a donation of one machine to
> the Trisquel project if that would help things.

This would certainly help on the decision making process, as a hard
requirement is to have hardware to run the builds at.