[Trisquel-devel] Package questions

Simon Josefsson simon at josefsson.org
Tue Apr 9 11:05:42 UTC 2024

Ryan <rynosp at talk2eo.me.uk> writes:

> Hi all
>
> After my recent success getting Aramo booting on both the cubieboard2
> and banana pi, I hade been looking at migrating my server setups to it,
> however I hit a snag when I looked at moving my email server. So I have
> couple of questions regarding some packages in (or not it) the
> repositories.
>
> Firstly, the version of rspamd (2.7), which is trisquel downstream of
> the version in Ubuntu 22.04, does this package get any kind of support
> at any stage (i.e Debian, Ubuntu or Trisquel) in terms of security?,
> given it is older and the developer of rspamd seems to be quite hot on
> dropping older versions and strongly suggests against the use of the
> versions used in debain-ubuntu. Seen here:
> https://rspamd.com/packages_support_policy.html
> Is this package still suitable for use in a production setting?

FWIW, rspamd 2.7 is the same version as in Debian oldstable (bullseye),
which I believe is still covered by security support from both Debian
and Ubuntu.  I have been using it for several years both on Debian
bullseye and on aramo on my now primary Trisquel-based mail server.
Upstream doesn't seem to care much about long-term support, and modern
versions seems to have anti-features so I am avoiding upstream packages:
https://rspamd.com/doc/usage_policy.html

> Secondly, The alternative to using rspamd would be a combo of
> spamassassin, postgrey, opendkim and opendmarc, however ubuntu 22.04
> lts didn't seem to provide opendmarc for that release (which is strange
> as buster and bullseye did), so it doesn't exsist for us in trisquel,
> despite it being available for others such as arm64 and x86, Is there
> anything that can be done during this release to get the package for
> armhf or will it be a case of waiting for Trisquel 12?. which should
> have it as its in the 24.04lts

Opendmarc is on Ubuntu 22.04 and Aramo:
https://packages.trisquel.org/aramo/opendmarc

I'm using spamassassin (as well as rspamd) and DKIM via Exim, what is it
that you want from opendmarc?  I thought it was mostly for reporting
features.  The anti-spam stuff via DMARC should be part of
rspamd/spamassassin already, I would hope.

/Simon