[Trisquel-devel] i686 Tests as per Dev Meeting 2020-06-05

Leny leny2010 at protonmail.com
Wed Jun 10 07:51:04 CEST 2020

Hiya All

These are the results of my i686 testing and first one I forgot to
include from amd64 testing.

* LE-12 None of the amd64 installers mention the lack of wisdom
  of installing on battery power only.

Now to i686

One machine is an Acer Aspire One ZG5 with RAM upgraded
to 1.25 GiB and a libre compatible Wi-Fi card fitted. The other is a
3GiB Gluglug upgraded IBM Thinkpad X60s updated to Libreboot from
Coreboot when Leah started Libreboot and Minifree out of Gluglug.
Owing to the low power of these machines no disk encryption or LVM
were selected at install.

* LE-13 - LightDM doesn't work on anything I can test.  Not on install
  media or in a netinstall installed system.

* LE-14 - Trisquel and Trisquel Mini 'Install Trisquel' boot
  options fail during the file copy stage.

As per amd64 LE-04 Triskel uses the wrong installer for this boot
option, which fails as per that report.

* LE-15 - You can install Trisquel, Triskel and Trisquel Mini with the
  trisquel_9.0_i686.iso's "Install in text mode" option. However, it is
  Trisquel 8.0 you get   installed.

* LE-16 While all amd64 install media can be booted from Libreboot not
  all i686 media can.

This is at the same level of Libreboot for both architectures.
Libreboot cannot read (hangs looking for) the ISOLINUX menus in the
Trisquel_9.0_i686.iso.  Triskel and T Mini ISOLINUX menus it can
find.

Even went as far as to dd the images rather than use Triskel 9.0's
Startup Disk Creator.  And checking they were sound if they had a
'Check Disk' option in their boot menu.

* * *

I think that's enough to be going on with.  Since neither machine
presently has anything Trisquel 9.0 installed on it.  There seems
little else I can do.

Leny