[Trisquel-devel] Install testing as per the dev meeting 2020/06/05

Leny leny2010 at protonmail.com
Mon Jun 8 03:29:15 CEST 2020

Hi All,

Here are the bugs I found in the testing Etiona on various bits of kit I keep
around here.  All, so far, are with the 2020/05/15-16 amd64 ISOs.

* MATE

** LE-01 nVidia 1050 GTX support (kernel really).  The kernel is
   carrying non-free blobs for nVIDIA GM20x and later cards.

The default kernel for MATE and presumably all of them supports the
nVIDIA 1050 GTX in 4K far enough to provide the greeting screen but
crashes on login.  It shouldn't even do this, as the nouveau
developers indicate [1] GM20x and later nVIDIA cards require the
firmware to be signed by nVIDIA and there's little hope of that being
allowed for free software.

jxself's linux-libre doesn't carry them and correctly hands over to
fbdev for 1024x768 on my 28" 4K monitor :-).

** LE-02 Abrowser / Web - stale install link for Privacy Badger plugin

It should be https://www.eff.org/files/privacy-badger-latest.xpi

** LE-03 Emacs25 indicates a missing standard GTK package

Running emacs25 GUI from the terminal shows a GTK error message
indicating libcanberra-gtk-module can't be found.  Emacs still
runs. This isn't present in either the KDE or LXDE flavours. (They
have a different problem).

This is fixed by installing libcanberra-gtk3-module.  Which should
either be a dependency of emacs or in trisquel-desktop-common.

* KDE

** LE-04 Booting from the 'Install Trisquel' option on the ISO's menu
   selects the standard installer not the KDE one.

As a consequence the installer issues a message after pairing with
WiFi and you are taken to the Try Triskel desktop to investigate
further.  ISTR this being an issue last release.

** LE-05 (also LXDE) Emacs warns an accessibility service is missing.

The error message running GUI emacs from Terminal on both Triskel and
Trisquel Mini is

(emacs:31646): dbind-WARNING **: 19:07:47.111: Error retrieving
accessibility bus address: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown:
The name org.a11y.Bus was not provided by any .service files

** LE-06 plasma-discover says 'Checking for updates' all the time and
   behaves strangely in general with the stale db.

/usr/bin/script recording of the output when run from konsole is after
the cut line at [2]

** LE-07 System Settings -> Online Accounts won't configure them.
   Telepathy is a mess.

System Settings -> Online Accounts shows the following message when
you try to add an account.

'Following missing providers are required by installed services:
google owncloud(I18N_ARGUMENT_MISSING)'

I've added bits of telepathy in the hope of getting it to work.  But
no luck. It needs further investigation.

** LE-08 'Error malformed URL' when clicking on 'Open in File Manager'
   from the notification when removable USB media are inserted.

* netinst

** LE-09 Netinst on a USB stick doesn't detect supported USB WiFi.

It has no problem with supported mini PCIe cards.  ISTR way back
Debian Installer netinst couldn't see a second USB drive when it was
booted from a USB stick itself.

** LE-10 Lot's of 16.04 hwe kernels in the netinst list.

ISTR old kernels in the list happened with early betas of the Fildas
netinst iso.

** LE-11 netinst fails

According to the log console this is because trisquel depends on
trisquel-desktop-common which is not going to be installed.  This is
since the maintenance to a number of trisquel-xxx pacakges happened on
Saturday.

So having said I can't recreate Friday's #1 on a standard install, I
now don't have the opportunity to test it on a netinst install.

* * *

Next: i686 testing.  I'm using Triskel as my daily desktop to see what
other problems I shake out.

Yours,

Andrew/Leny

[1] https://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/
[2] /usr/bin/script recording of plasma-discover's output
8< ------------------------------------

$ plasma-discover
no packages for "org.kde.kmail2"
no packages for "ca.desrt.dconf-editor"
no packages for "org.kde.konsole"
no packages for "org.kde.kate"
no packages for "org.kde.ktplogviewer"
no packages for "org.kde.kmag"
no packages for "org.kde.akregator"
no packages for "org.kde.gwenview"
no packages for "org.gnome.ColorProfileViewer"
no packages for "org.kde.ktorrent"
no packages for "org.kde.ksysguard"
no packages for "org.kde.ark"
no packages for "org.kde.ktpcontactlist"
no packages for "org.kde.k3b"
no packages for "org.kde.korganizer"
no packages for "org.kde.skanlite"
no packages for "org.kde.kwalletmanager5"
no packages for "org.kde.Help"
no packages for "org.kde.kmousetool"
no packages for "org.kde.partitionmanager"
no packages for "org.kde.klipper"
no packages for "org.kde.ksystemlog"
no packages for "org.kde.krdc"
no packages for "org.kde.okular"
empty appstream db
setting currentApplicationBackend PackageKitBackend(0x55eac43de730)
already resetting
[...]
$ exit