[Trisquel-devel] Gitlab @ https://devel.trisquel.info/ - A n00bs interim report

Andrew 'Leny' Lindley andrew at andrewlindley.co.uk
Wed Nov 26 18:12:45 CET 2014

As you might infer from my profile there saying 'exhume 25 yr old
skills ... Mixed results...'  I have never used anything like a GitLab
system for git before - so here is what I found on my initial foray
into using it.

* The 'Save Changes' button in Edit Profile causes a pretty 500 error
  page to be shown.  The data is saved so the HTTPS POST is getting
  through.

* Similarly deleting a repo produces the same error but deletes the
  repos.

* Creating a repo by cloning an existing one from within the
  devel.trisquel.info system won't work.  ssh is understandable but
  HTTPS is I think because of certificate validation failing - at
  least in my own git I had to set http.sslVerify=false .

* There's no abort / cancel button in the above process.  So if you
  don't have a valid git repo url you're either stuck or if you just
  clear the URL field and then press the button you get a blank page
  and the repo is created but broken.  (Which is how I first found out
  abouit the 500 for repo deletion, but I've also tested that with a
  good repo since.)

* I couldn't find where the system told you what rôle you had.  So
  knowing what permissions you have is a matter of testing them.  If
  the notification email is easy to customise and there is a suitable
  text macro putting it in there would be enough I think.

* The GitLab docs say the multi repo process involves creating an
  overarching Issue then subsidiary Issues in the repos involved.  I
  don't have persmissions to make overarching Issues, so was going to
  attempt a straightforward merge request.  This will need at least
  documenting as Trisquel is at variance with the supplied docs.

Anyway Internet and power problems have kept me from doing more for a
few days.  The power problems are fixed, but sorting the  Internet out
will probably keep me busy for a while more.  So I thought I'd post
what I have.

Leny