[Trisquel-devel] fix bugs (newbie)

Andrew Lindley leny2010 at member.fsf.org
Mon Nov 25 11:00:01 CET 2013

From: MAX PUX <isleofmax at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Trisquel-devel] fix bugs (newbie)
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 01:54:28 +0100

> The thing I don't understand is why when I run the command git
> clone git://
> devel.trisquel.info/package-helpers.git I can't see the whole list
> of
> helpers I see in
> http://devel.trisquel.info/gitweb/?p=package-helpers.git;a=tree;f=helpers;h=c840bd9b5d1cf7592a4686ac364761626792648f;hb=refs/heads/toutatisweb

You need to do the

    git checkout toutatis

To see all of them.  The whole history and content of the repo is
stored in your package-helpers/.git directory.  The git checkout
command moves your personal 'cursor' to a place in this repo and puts
the state of the repos at that point into the rest of your
package-helpers/ directory . These copies of the files you've just
put there are called the working set.

> page? And, if is there a bug in a program I don't need the sources
> of
> that program or it's all done with helpers?

The helpers download the source, apply some edits to it and build the
packages.  You might have missed that I've updated the
package-helpers page with instructions on how get package source so
you can code and test the edits so you can later add them to a helper.

> However, I started to read the manual of git in the link you posted
> (thank
> you for the hint) and also this manual I found on the gNewSense
> website ("
> http://en.flossmanuals.net/command-line/").

A good book I hope as I bought a paper copy from the FSF shop to give
to a friend who wants to learn the command line.

BTW, please get in the habit of bottom posting (as in don't reply to
a mailing list with your text above the original).  Trisquel-devel is
too small and friendly to worry about this, but if you have to deal
with e.g. the upstream Debian mailing lists they insist on the form
I've used here.  The reason being inline/bottom posting like this
makes it much easier to deal with a high volume of email, so it is
considered good manners and a good number of people ignore 'top
posting' to save time.

Leny