[Trisquel-devel] How to contribute

Andrew Lindley leny2010 at member.fsf.org
Mon Nov 18 04:48:05 CET 2013

Hi Massimo, Welcome

There's no volunteers programme or anything like that.  For my own
part I've found there's plenty to do that really requires little more
than than a bit of appication and being prepared to find out for
yourself.  For example, there's value in triaging bugs in the issues
database and turning them into smart bug reports.  A surprising
number of bug reporters haven't bothered to search upstream or the
web and often things can be flagged to be put into upstream status
after just doing a basic search.

  If you hanker for a bit of actually fixing bugs then there are bugs
which can be fixed with no more than a plain text edtior, reading
this [1], learning git, a bit of bash, command line and some sed.
Assuming you know the basics of testing your patches yourself, which
if you've got COBOL experience from the workplace will be second
nature to you.  Reading package maint-guide is helpful for the detail
of the full manual package creation and maintenance process if you
need to do more advanced things.

Generally my approach is derived from the advice in maint-guide that
you need the commitment to work it out for yourself and keep trying
until you get it right.  It is self evident that the actual Trisquel
developers have even less time than the Debian ones to teach people
the ropes.  Just persisting with what you can do wih your own
resources and being prepared to do the reading is more than most do.

[1] https://trisquel.info/en/wiki/package-helpers