[Trisquel-devel] [Trisquel-users] Antwort: iwl3945 Problem

Jos Collin joscollin at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 03:34:22 CEST 2012

Could you please respond to this email?

I'm trying to make the Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG WiFi adapter working
with my custom Trisquel installation. I have got the non-free ucode. I
just copied the iwlwifi-3945-2.ucode to the directory /lib/firmware.
But the non-free ucode is not getting detected and I got the following
errors.

The output of dmesg:

    [   16.873822] 0000:03:00.0: Missing Free firmware
    [   16.882094] input: SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad as
/devices/platform/i8042/serio1/input/input6
    [   16.885660] iwl3945 0000:03:00.0: /*(DEBLOBBED)*/ firmware file
req failed: -22
    [   16.885713] iwl3945 0000:03:00.0: Could not read microcode: -22
    [   16.946492] 0000:03:00.0: Missing Free firmware
    [   16.948869] iwl3945 0000:03:00.0: /*(DEBLOBBED)*/ firmware file
req failed: -22
    [   16.948922] iwl3945 0000:03:00.0: Could not read microcode: -22

So the following are my questions.

If I get the source code of the Intel 3945ABG driver from Intel,
compile it against the current version of the Linux-Libre Kernel and
install the newly compiled driver (iwl3945.ko), still the driver will
not find the non-free ucode?

Or is that a restriction implemented in the linux-libre kernel as part
of deblobbing ? Whether the functionality to load the Intel 3945ABG
ucode is removed from the kernel ?

Expecting a better answers from the developers. Please help.

Thanks,
Jos Collin