[Trisquel-devel] Software center for Trisquel

Gaurav Pareek gaurav.conetfun at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 19:22:18 CEST 2011

On 06/28/2011 10:35 PM, Charlie Vegan wrote:
> What are the advantages of software ubuntu center?
*User-friendly interface
*Replaces gdebi for installation of .deb files
*Reviews and recommendations feature
*Streamlined interface
*One can search for and read about other software while on is being
installed
*Install queues.
*Better upstream support

> Why not gnome-app-install?
*Old and deprecated. Gnome supports packagekit and Ubuntu supports
software center
*Not so user friendly.

> What new implementations are intended to ubuntu center software to
> separate it from ubuntu?
I think you were talking about what modifications are required. Well a
python module for distro finding is needed(i've already written that,
mostly) and a couple of images need to be replaced. The custom python
module will remove the options for commercial apps.