[Trisquel-devel] Future Migration to Gnome 3?

Gaurav Pareek gaurav.conetfun at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 05:21:29 CEST 2011

On 06/10/2011 01:36 AM, Rubén Rodríguez wrote:
> I think the exact opposite. GNOME 3 requires 3D acceleration to work,
> which many graphic cards lack using free drivers. They even plan for
> GNOME 3 to offer non-free drivers to the users as a "solution" to the
> problem. Even if they don't, we should avoid it altogether.
>
> The "fallback mode" is not a solution either, it just tells those who
> chose free software that they are second level citizens, as a friend
> would say.

I think you're confusing Gnome3 with gnome-shell. Gnome-shell requires
3d accelration to work and can easily be removed and replaced with other
options, such as Unity as in Ubuntu, Pantheon as in elementary, or the
default fallback session. In fact the fallback mode becomes the default
if gnome-shell isn't installed. If we want to provide an interface that
is like the current default, then we'll have no choice other than using
the fallback mode(it doesnt tell people they're second level citizens if
gnome-shell isn't installed). Other options are
* Change the default interface to Unity. It has a fallback called
unity-2d which requires qt.
* Use the fallback mode, tweak it to behave like the current setup.
* Use elementary's shell Pantheon.
* Write ur own session manager, put cairo-dock or awn as a panel(or fork
gnome-panel), and compiz or metacity as WM.

The best option will be to use the fallback mode(Ok dont call it that,
that sounds pathetic), and tweak it enough for our needs. I say this
because:
*Gnome-panel3 is a huge advancement over gnome-panel 2.x.
*All ancient technologies such as bonobo have been retired.
*It actually allows snapping applets to left, right and center.
*Its themeable via css.
*We dont like 'top-bars', so we wont use unity or elementary.(I actually
like top-bars :P)

Whatever be the case, we have enough time to think and let the
technologies mature. Only time will tell what is actually ready to be
used by 5.5.

Regards
grv