[Trisquel-devel] Future Migration to Gnome 3?

Julian Doucette admin at juliandoucette.info
Fri Jun 10 14:37:42 CEST 2011

> I think the exact opposite. GNOME 3 requires 3D acceleration to work,
> which many graphic cards lack using free drivers. They even plan for
> GNOME 3 to offer non-free drivers to the users as a "solution" to the
> problem. Even if they don't, we should avoid it altogether.
>
> The "fallback mode" is not a solution either, it just tells those who
> chose free software that they are second level citizens, as a friend
> would say.

I think it's worth pointing out that not including support for GNOME3
would tell those using / switching to Trisquel that using free a
distribution is holding them back from the latest and greatest free
updates available to other less free distributions. It also holds
Trisquel back from being easilly used with new touch screen + tablet
PC's that are on the rise.

For me personally, after using GNOME3 with Fedora for a while, I am
annoyed when switching back to GNOME2 because of I am used to the
benifits of the GNOME3 UI.

I know experiences like mine are not adiquit reasons to switch, as your
hardware points are valid. But they do affect users who are trying to
decide which distribution to use privatly for home/work.