[Trisquel-devel] some little ideas for a video or presentation

Andrew Ter-Grigoryan roeplay at lavabit.com
Tue Jan 18 08:19:54 CET 2011

On Mon, 2011-01-17 at 17:19 -0600, Jose Benito wrote:
> Main Idea:
>
> "What yo need to do? (or maybe what you need to do with an OS?)
>
> yo can...
>
> ..chat with your friends online
>
> ..play your music
>
> ..watch yor movies and videos favourites
>
> ..do your homework
>
> ..organize your pictures
>
> ..even watch the moon and the stars!
>
> You can do almost anything
>
> but do it with freedom
>
> do it with Trisquel GNU/Linux
>
> runs free!
>

> Every sentence is a scene that shows people enjoying the activity, or
> program's screenshots.
>
> Voice in off and text appearing and vanishing.
>
> I hope you like.

I have an interesting idea of what you can do for a video, Hound. It's
called:

"PC vs Mac vs. Trisquel GNU/Linux"

Have you seen any of the PC vs. Mac commercials? If not, search for them
on YouTube. They are very well known and and easy to parody (white
background, simple music, you get the picture). You could do a cartoon
video in that style, except with a third character: Trisquel! Maybe he's
a guy wearing a t-shirt with a gnu on it, or a triskelion.

PC and Mac will be in the middle one of their little arguments again
when Trisquel walks in. They chuckle at him and make comments about how
difficult it is to work with him and how much of a geek he is. "Get
real, you guys. It's not the 80's and 90's anymore. I've got this bad
reputation for being hard and scary and geeky, when nowadays, I'm so
easy your grandma can handle me. These days, I can do just about
anything you guys know how to do, and a whole lot more. And viruses and
malware? Gosh, what is that? I've never had to worry about that stuff."
PC and Mac pause for a moment and look at each other. But then PC
replies "Alright, fair enough, but still, why should anyone care? We're
way more popular than you'll ever be. People are comfortable with us.
They sure seem to like -us- well enough, even if -you're- nice enough
not to make them have to pay money to use you". Trisquel replies, "Hmm,
why should people care? -Well-, if somebody wants to make a copy of me
for their friends, I'm happy to let them do that. I wouldn't want to
tell anyone that sharing with their friends was wrong, after all. Are
-you- guys OK with getting copied?" PC and Mac look at each other
nervously and both say "no". Trisquel continues, "When people want to
use me, they're not tied down to some overbearing license agreement. I'm
all about treating others like neighbors, not servants. Can people trust
-you- for that?" PC and Mac say "err, no?" Trisquel continues, "and of
course, I'm perfectly alright with folks getting into my guts and
learning all about what makes me tick, and if they want, they're free to
hack me, change me, and pass on the improvements for everyone else to
enjoy. You guys?" PC and Mac say "Nah, man, we really never cared about
that stuff". The scene ends with Trisquel telling PC and Mac they should
consider being better neighbors to others and show a little respect for
others' freedom.

At the end, it will show a blank screen with our URL and our logo, along
with the catchphrase "Run Free!"

This idea is not perfect, but I think it might be effective at giving
people without any prior knowledge of free software some sense of why
our freedom agenda is relevant to them. It's very hard to make a free
software ad that isn't overtly didactic, but this is the best I could
think of.

Thoughts?