[Trisquel-devel] Some questions about documentation and translation

roeplay at lavabit.com roeplay at lavabit.com
Sun Jan 16 05:44:13 CET 2011

> 2011/1/15 <roeplay at lavabit.com>
>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > For documentation writers
>> > ==============
>> > I just wanted to ask if it is really necessary to have the Roadmap
page[1].
>> > That page lists several tasks for Trisquel, the website and some
suggestions
>> > or feature requests. Why don't you use the issue tracker in the
>> website?
>> > It
>> > has the functionality for that kind of items in the category field:
>> bug
>> > report, task, feature request, support request.
>> >
>> > For Spanish translators
>> > ============
>> > I want to contribute with translations but I'd like to know first the
conventions you are using. For example, I've seen that in some pages
>> you
>> > use
>> > "ustedeo"[2] but in others you use "tuteo"[3].
>> >
>> > Do you always translate developer documentation? Why? I think that
development information should be kept in English only since almost
>> every
>> > aspect of development requires people involved in it to be able to
communicate in that language.

>> > Thanks in advance,
>> >
>> > 1. http://trisquel.info/en/wiki/roadmap
>> > 2. http://trisquel.info/es/wiki/plan-de-trabajo
>> > 3. http://trisquel.info/es/wiki/manuales
>> >
>> > --
>> > Felipe Lopez
>> > IntrosMedia <http://introsmedia.wordpress.com/>

>> Let me try to answer the second inquiry:
>> It's true that translating developer documentation like the roadmap
page
>> is of least priority. If you would like to translate wiki pages to
Spanish, you can bypass those. But the vast majority of our
>> documentation
>> is not "developer documentation", but for users from novice to
advanced.

> Ok. I won't translate those.
>
> There's one thing I'd like to add here. It's just my personal view, but I'd
> like to hear your opinions, too.
>
> I usually use the website playing two different roles: user and
> contributor.
> I'd like to find, easily, the documentation more relevant for each role.
For
> example, if I could modify the website, I'd add a new link to the
header,
> "Contribute" button. This way I could link the "Documentation" button to
> page listing the available user manuals for each version of the distro
and
> the "Contribute" button to a page describing the Trisquel Team and how
> join and help with programming, documentation, translation, etc. In
short,
> I'd like to see the user documentation separated from the contributors
documentation.

> I think this could help organize better each Team as well.

Maybe it isn't necessary to separate the two. You'll notice that almost
all of the wiki pages are written for users, very few just for developers.
The few that are only for developers (like the Design page) are not filed
under "documentation" in the wiki hierarchy. The Roadmap page is kind of a
borderline case. It is really for both users (at least, the more
interested ones) and developers. Even the Design page is for users in a
way (e.g. anyone can add to that page if they want), because we have a
very open community.

(http://trisquel.info/en/wiki/trisquel-team)