[Trisquel-devel] Gathering ideas for Trisquel Toolbox liveCD concept

swoody swoody at member.fsf.org
Wed Jul 28 11:48:21 CEST 2010

Hello all!

I've just had a light bulb go off in my head after wondering why there are
no 100% *FREE* liveCDs out there that are geared towards system
administration. I work for a server hosting company, and having one liveCD
which features many great *free* apps would be an invaluable tool. While
there are some discs which are similar in nature (Knoppix, Parted Magic,
etc.) they don't quite fit in with what I feel a true liveCD should be,
and on top of that they don't fit in with my desire to use 100% free
software. Thus the idea of Trisquel Toolbox was born!

I wanted to gather some ideas on some great apps to include in a liveCD
that you would feel would be important to have for work geared towards
system administration/system recovery/what have you. My original intention
is to keep this to a regular 700MB CD size image. There's always the
opportunity to create a mega-sized version for DVDs but for now I would
like to focus on this. For the sake of keeping the system minimal I was
thinking of using lxde-core for the DE, either network-manager-gnome or
wicd for basic networking, and lynx and midori (or icecat?) for web
browsing. Outside of the few basic system apps I really want to focus on
making this liveCD packed with as many great tools as possible. Please
feel free to make suggestions of packages that you feel should make the
cut!

A small list I started putting together. Feel free to criticize, critique,
or compliment any of them:

- gparted
- foremost
- photorec
- mysql server
- netwox
- tcpdump/ethereal
- rkhunter
- clamav(?)
- chkrootkit
- ddrescue
- diff
- ethtool

Looking forward to hearing some ideas! Thanks all :)

- Woody