[Trisquel-devel] Trisquel 3.5 beta published

Rubén Rodríguez Pérez ruben at trisquel.info
Thu Feb 18 23:46:50 CET 2010

The iso can be found here:
http://devel.trisquel.info/trisquel_3.5-BETA20100218_i686.iso
http://devel.trisquel.info/trisquel_3.5-BETA20100218_i686.md5

It is based on the Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic) repositories, and includes:

* Linux-libre 2.6.31-19
* Xorg 7.4
* Gnome 2.28
* Abrowser 3.5.7
* OpenOffice.org 3.1.1

It comes with some issues that need more work:

* Abrowser modifications (coming from 3.0) are not working properly.
* Pidgin tray icon is disabled by default.
* Audacious was removed, sound files need to be remapped to rhythmbox.
* Inkscape was also removed, no remapping needed.
* Despite of this removals, the iso image is too big: 703MB for the i386
version will make the amd64 one not fit in a CD. We need to lose ~10MB.
* Some config files still refer to dwyn/3.0
* We need new artwork: gfxboot, usplash, gdm, background.
* The icon set is too big.
* Nautilus network browsing not working.
* USB-creator not properly branded.
* Dmraid and reiser4progs missing.
* Home encryption not tested.

Please do not open any bug on the issue tracker regarding this beta,
discuss them in this list instead (one thread per issue).

We also have to decide some alternatives for programs:

* Pidgin / Empathy
* Abrowser / Arora / Midori / Other
* Totem / VLC
* Swfdec / Gnash

If you want to discuss any of those programs, take in count all this
needs: Easy of use, language support, upstream support, disk usage.