[Trisquel-users] Grep consumes all my RAM and swap ding a big job

amenex at amenex.com amenex at amenex.com
Sun Jul 28 20:04:17 CEST 2019

Magic Banana may be re-stating my objective differently than I have been
stating it:

 >> Also, if, in my previous post, I have understood what you wanted to do
with Leafpad and 43 manual executions
 >> (i.e., "join every file with the union of all other files"), here is a
slightly modified script that does
 >> everything in one single execution ...

No; all my joins are pair-wise, as in 01.txt joined with 02.txt (but not
02.txt joined with 01.txt, which gives
the identical result), nor 01.txt joined with 01.txt, which simply duplicates
the (often very long) initial list
of hostnames accessing domain 01. My output files are very numerous ~
[(45*44/2 -45) = 945]; once created they
are not joined but merely concatenated and then grouped to yield bunches of
identical hostnames, each one traceable
to one of the original hostnames in the Recent Visitor lists.

Note that at each level of the groups of listed scripts, one more script of
the top scripts is commented out so as
to eliminate duplications, until at the last script list there is just one
script left.

After that comes the task of looking up with nMap, the CIDR report, and
Google as many other identical hostnames
as can reasonably be found, to illustrate the breadth of the
hostname-obfuscation problem. I hesitate to expose
the results until the more frequently used hostames can  be resolved to
singular or multiple IPv4 addresses.