[Trisquel-users] Transmission won't connect to trackers in Trisquel 8

grns3 at protonmail.com grns3 at protonmail.com
Thu Jul 25 16:29:53 CEST 2019

Ever since reading the initial posts in this thread, something has been
nagging my brain... "Could it be that  Transmission suddenly has the same
"bug" as i already noted months ago to be existing in uTorrent 3.* (Windows
though!) and Bit Torrent 7.10.4???" This "bug" i noted on several private
(bootleg) trackers as well with public trackers. Please allow me to
elaborate: in such torrents, all torrent-clients except the 2 mentioned above
perform as they should, i.e. downloading and uploading data, actively
engaging in the swarm. The mentioned clients however, only connect to other
peers, but do not exchange a single bit of data, they just stay at 0%
progress. This happens to peers with these client from all over the globe and
all of them use an ISP with a good connection / reputation. The common factor
are these particular torrent-clients and them at 0% progress. However, after
a while all these peers waiting at 0%, all of a sudden SIMULTANUOUSLY start
downloading and sharing data until after a brief moment (upto 2 minutes) they
SIMULTANUOUSLY pause again. Until, again after minutes, they suddenly act in
unison with all other peers and finally perform as they should. Looking at
this anomalous behaviour, i have concluded that the pattern might be pointing
towards the fact that either uTorrent 3.* and BitTorrent 7.10.4 are corrupt,
or the OS used by them (Windows) is. Anyway, such simultanuous behaviour
looks like the peers are controlled by a C & C center (command & control),
which is often used by virii and worms. I made a few screencasts from such
torrents, an example in my Nextcloud here:
https://grns3.rocks/nextcloud/index.php/s/gRBHiYGQJAwY8KD (skip to halfway)

Although i did NOT note this fishy behaviour with Transmission clients back
then, it might be that recent versions are now either corrupt or the peers
experiencing a suddenly not running client are somehow infected.

As a Qbittorrent user i formerly left it for what it is and kinda ignored the
not running issue, as the few times i posted in the threads belonging to
those torrents, advising peers to downgrade to uTorrent 2.2.1, no-one
replied. And hey, when a peer chooses to use that OS and that software, it's
their problem, not mine. Please excuse me for not reporting at appropiate
channels upto now.

I would appreciate if some peers here would look at the whole matter, as i am
only a simple guy with very limited knowledge when it comes to looking at
software (i haven't touched IDA in ages lol).

More screencasts from various trackers are available, i will share them upon
request. Please guide me to the appropiate thread if needed, i feel like i
might be a bit off-topic.

Thanks and kind regards, Lou aka GoRinNoSho.