[Trisquel-users] Start a Business Using Only Free and Open Source Tools!

davidpgil at protonmail.com davidpgil at protonmail.com
Thu Jul 4 14:52:17 CEST 2019

It seems to me the argument for not using Libre software and tools in
business is that there is no warranty; so if something should go wrong and
important files are lost, there is no one to blame. Also, we have a society
that has grown accustomed to the idea that the software is a trade secret.
With art creation, people are inspired by eachothers works all the time and
sample colors and shapes from eachothers images. Is there a way this could be
done with code? one can sample how a certain function works but not know
exactly how all the code is interconnected? I think the trouble with code is
that code does things, which art does not... How can code be made transparent
while having companies protect their IP? I can't think of a way... All I can
think of is that making software closed source should be illegal OR maybe
have a company type like Public Benefit Corporation where its illegal to use
closed source software.

Thinking out loud here...