[Trisquel-users] Problems installing GNU Health on Trisquel 8

mason at masonhock.com mason at masonhock.com
Mon Jul 1 18:36:03 CEST 2019

> I am trying to install GNU Health on a fresh Trisquel 8 system and it
> looks like there is some problem with Python pip.

The problem is that including pip would violate the GNU Free System
Distribution Guidelines,[1] which state:

"A free system distribution must not steer users towards obtaining any
nonfree information for practical use, or encourage them to do so. The
system should have no repositories for nonfree software and no specific
recipes for installation of particular nonfree programs. Nor should the
distribution refer to third-party repositories that are not committed to
only including free software"

> "I guess you can always install it. All the python packages that GNU
> Health uses are Libre, so no worries on that.

Installing it should be easy. Packages in the PyPi repository use
setuptools, so they are not hard to build. After verifying that a PyPi
package and all of its dependencies are free, you can install it
manually. See my comment here[2] and onpon4's correction.

> PS: You should talk to the Trisquel team, and ask them to include pip.The
> argument of not including pip because there might be some non-free
> software on pypi, IMHO, is way restrictive".

It is inaccurate to say that "there *might* be some non-free software on
pypi," because we know for a fact that there is non-free software on
PyPi.[3]

[1] https://web.archive.org/web/20190629121929/http://www.gnu.org/distros/free-system-distribution-guidelines.html
[2] https://trisquel.info/en/forum/pip-python-pip-doesnt-work-trisquel#comment-140235
[3] https://trisquel.info/en/issues/3741