[Trisquel-users] Trisquel continuously crashing, the state of the FOSS community

enduzzer at riseup.net enduzzer at riseup.net
Mon Feb 25 08:20:44 CET 2019

Trisquel panel's indicator applet (scrolling the volume) crashes sometimes
but it can be relaunched. Other than that, I've had virtually zero issues
with Trisqyuel 8 on my HP Probook 6460b laptop.

I'd put it down to "rush to conclusions".

http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#idm46060474146768

Don't rush to claim that you have found a bug

When you are having problems with a piece of software, don't claim you have
found a bug unless you are very, very sure of your ground. Hint: unless you
can provide a source-code patch that fixes the problem, or a regression test
against a previous version that demonstrates incorrect behavior, you are
probably not sure enough. This applies to webpages and documentation, too; if
you have found a documentation “bug”, you should supply replacement text
and which pages it should go on.

Remember, there are many other users that are not experiencing your problem.
Otherwise you would have learned about it while reading the documentation and
searching the Web (you did do that before complaining, didn't you?). This
means that very probably it is you who are doing something wrong, not the
software.

The people who wrote the software work very hard to make it work as well as
possible. If you claim you have found a bug, you'll be impugning their
competence, which may offend some of them even if you are correct. It's
especially undiplomatic to yell “bug” in the Subject line.

When asking your question, it is best to write as though you assume you are
doing something wrong, even if you are privately pretty sure you have found
an actual bug. If there really is a bug, you will hear about it in the
answer. Play it so the maintainers will want to apologize to you if the bug
is real, rather than so that you will owe them an apology if you have messed
up.