[Trisquel-users] Trisquel continuously crashing, the state of the FOSS community

jcmartinez2129 at pm.me jcmartinez2129 at pm.me
Mon Feb 25 05:19:43 CET 2019

 >> Maybe a hardware issue then?

He might be talking that the hardware you have is defective, rather than
incompatible with Trisquel. I experience an issue with one of my computers
and found out one of the RAM sticks was bad, this caused my computer to
reboot at any time.

 >If the comparison we're titillating is Ubuntu, I'd be inclined to agree.
However, Trisquel has contained more bugs than any OS I've used >in my
experience, to which I suspect all FSF distros are likely to experience
similar fates.

There is little difference between Ubuntu and Trisquel, the main things are
the package helpers that clean the distro and the rebranded software such as
Abrowser. Other than the issue you are reporting can you tell what other
"more bugs" are you reporting? Can you tell if they are Trisquel's or
Ubuntu's? Could you report them to their bug trackers?

 >The two are tied together. When I try and convince my friends and family to
convert to free software, and tell them all of the moral >upsides, they'll
smile and nod the whole way; but the second you tell a human being they have
something to lose, they will immediately >rationalize an excuse as to why
it's not worth it. If there is a single aspect to be lost, or if the
transition is in anyway >cumbersome, 99% of people won't give it the time of
day -- unfortunate, but true. We can eradicate this problem by eradicating
all >downsides - bugs included, hence my urgency and tone.

Although it's important that free software is spread everywhere, it's also
important to understand, this is an ethical issue. I understand that people
are not willing to change, bad for them, we cannot be pushing the ideas of
free software if they don't want to change. They deserve freedom but at the
end of the day, if you tell them what FS is about and they don't care about
it, there is nothing you can do.

 >My experience should never happen to anyone. This is not a matter of
personal offense; I'm trying to convey a matter of principle. A >principle
this community needs to rigorously adopt. It is THE worst conceivable thing
to happen for widespread migration when the >software breaks to the point
where it is no longer usable. The fact that this happened even once should
give you nightmares. Why is >the fact that it is not happening to everyone
consolation to you? Where is your urgency? This community needs a radical
shift of >mentality if it ever wants to make a lasting effect.

To address this point, I have to refer to the GPL
"15. Disclaimer of Warranty.

THERE IS NO WARRANTY FOR THE PROGRAM, TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE
LAW. EXCEPT WHEN OTHERWISE STATED IN WRITING THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND/OR
OTHER PARTIES PROVIDE THE PROGRAM “AS IS” WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND,
EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED
WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. THE
ENTIRE RISK AS TO THE QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE OF THE PROGRAM IS WITH YOU.
SHOULD THE PROGRAM PROVE DEFECTIVE, YOU ASSUME THE COST OF ALL NECESSARY
SERVICING, REPAIR OR CORRECTION."

Are you also telling me that there is no issues with other OS or computers?
That Microsoft or Apple have not has issues on their software?

At one time I bought a computer with Windows pre-installed, the computer used
to blue screen a lot, the problem? I don't even know (I was too young to
figure out, and too naive to apply any warranty on the product). But there
were two possibilities, either hardware or software. Fortunately, given the

People is trying to help on figure out the problem (because we have not come
to the conclusion that Trisquel is the issue, right?) and you only complain
in assuming that Trisquel is the culprit without any evidence.

Now, moving to the deal:

Usually the results of a memtest will be displayed on the console since you
would likely use a usb live image. You can download a live cd distro and burn
it to a usb drive with:

sudo dd -if= -of=/dev/sdb

usually sdb will be the usb drive but make sure this is the case.

My first recommendation is to install any other GNU/Linux distro (debian or
ubuntu would do it) to make sure this only happens with Trisquel.

Please, realize this community is here to help, don't draw conclusions when
we still have to find out if the system is the cause of your unfortunate
luck.