[Trisquel-users] Trisquel continuously crashing, the state of the FOSS community

ethancrist96 at gmail.com ethancrist96 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 20:23:38 CET 2019

I have had much trouble with this OS. Both on my desktop and on a laptop, the
OS will crash anywhere from 0-10 minutes after startup every time without
incident. I doubt this is an installation issue as the Technoethical laptop
came with the OS previously installed. Re-installing doesn't help. I have no
idea what kind of programmer fancied this project is even close to being
viable for production when it appears this unstable. There is no way in hell
mainstream adoption is possible with these kind of gaping bugs.

The sloppiness of this software, combined with the lack of awareness and
concern of these bugs in the free software movement will be its downfall. I
am a programmer myself and this apathy deeply worries me. I'm happy to
provide help to make this software more accessible and usable if someone can
help point me in the right direction. Let's start with whatever bug is
causing the fatal crash on my machine.

Attached is a good portion of my syslog. There were probably at least a dozen
crashes within this log. I've been looking at the behavior right before the
system shuts down to look for patterns. Thus far the primary culprits seem to
be:
- indicator-application-service
- systemd

I actually staved off the problem for awhile by running a script that
restarts indicator-application-service every single second, which prevented
the crashes for a solid day, then they came back again. Plus, that's somewhat
of a hacky solution that wouldn't be ideal long term anyway.

Any fixes or ideas are appreciated.