[Trisquel-users] local installation of icecat/tor-browser executable tarball

Mason Hock mason at masonhock.com
Wed Feb 13 08:40:35 CET 2019

On 02/13, enduzzer at riseup.net wrote:
> Great work! I appreciate. For Icecat, good.
>
> However, Tor Browser Bundle need not be "installed". Extract the tarball
> on your desktop or a USB stick, and you're good.

By "install" i mean "extract to an out-of-the-way directory and create
symlinks to the binary and .desktop file so that for the end user
everything works as if it had been installed from the package manager."
This approach could work with any Firefox derivative distributed as an
executable tarball, including Firefox itself, but I focused on Tor
Browser and Icecat because they are FSDG-compliant.