[Trisquel-users] Icecat seems very outdated, what browser *should* one be using?

Mason Hock mason at masonhock.com
Sun Feb 10 07:49:12 CET 2019

> I could run it from a tarball but
> I'm not savvy enough to install it from one.

If you're running it from the tarball, here's what I suggest doing so
that you can launch it from a terminal or from menus as if it were
installed.

If you have Icecat 52 installed from the Trisquel repos, remove it.

$ sudo apt remove icecat

Download and extract the tarball to your home folder

$ cd ~
$ wget https://ftp.acc.umu.se/mirror/gnu.org/gnu/gnuzilla/60.3.0/icecat-60.3.0.en-US.gnulinux-x86_64.tar.bz2
$ tar xf icecat-60.3.0.en-US.gnulinux-x86_64.tar.bz2
$ rm icecat-60.3.0.en-US.gnulinux-x86_64.tar.bz2

Create a script with which to launch Icecat from a terminal.

$ mkdir ~/.local/bin
$ echo "/home/$USER/icecat/icecat > ~/.local/bin/icecat
$ chmod +x ~/.local/bin/icecat

After this you can run "icecat" in a terminal to launch Icecat.

Create a desktop file with which to launch Icecat from menus. Use your
preferred text editor to create "~/.local/share/applications/icecat.desktop"
containing the following (replace both instances of "chaosmonk" with
your username):

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Icecat
Exec=/home/chaosmonk/icecat/icecat
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Icon=/home/chaosmonk/icecat/browser/chrome/icons/default/default128.png
Categories=Network;WebBrowser;

After this Icecat should appear in menus and launchers.