[Trisquel-users] Offtopic: ITC Celebrations in general and Freedom celebrations in particular for 2019

Ignacio Agulló agullo at ati.es
Fri Feb 8 19:42:49 CET 2019

     Hello, everyone.  I am Ignacio Agulló, and since the year 2011 I
maintain the ITC Holidays Calendar for the professionals of the
Information and Communication Technologies in general and for the
members of the Computer Engineers Association of Spain (Asociación de
Técnicos de Informática, ATI) in particular.  The calendar contains all
of the editions for a total of 16 yearly celebrations, some of which are
already extinct.

     The Calendar is published through the Google Calendar application
in formats iCal and HTML. This allows for subscribing to the Calendar
from most agenda and e-mail applications, and also view the calendar as
a web page or insert it in one. The calendar is available in English,
Spanish and Galician.  Here you have the link to the English version:

International ICT Holidays
iCal:
https://calendar.google.com/calendar/ical/atinet.es_475jrhngqo61ovcspnaj07onjk%40group.calendar.google.com/public/basic.ics
HTML:
https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=atinet.es_475jrhngqo61ovcspnaj07onjk%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Europe/Madrid

     At the present moment, six holidays are still unannounced for 2019
– subscribing to the calendar is the best choice to avoid being
surprised by unexpected date changes.

     To maintain this calendar takes few work, but lots of patience.
When every January the 1st I get my hands on it, most of the
celebrations are still unannounced... starting on the first one!
Because of this reason every year the diffusion of the calendar gets
delayed, as I refuse to issue a calendar where the very first
celebration isn't announced yet.  That's where the patience comes in: I
am forced to watch every day for the remaining celebrations until they
get announced at last.  As to the first celebration, Data Protection
Day, the people of the Council of Europe overdo themselves every year
where it comes to laziness, and on this 2019 they announce the
celebration with less than 24 hours in advance.  They should follow the
example of Ted Kekatos, who consistently announces the SysAdmin Day 52
weeks in advance.

     Concerning the Freedom celebrations, I will update you about them:
the news aren't bad, but awful.  Over these years I have followed six
Freedom celebrations, two non-ITC (Free Education Day and Free Culture
Day) and four ITC (I Love Free Software Day, Document Freedom Day,
Hardware Freedom Day and Software Freedom Day).  Well, in the world wide
web you can only find the announcement for one of these celebrations:

February, 14: I love Free Software Day 2018,
https://fsfe.org/campaigns/ilovefs/index.en.html
Organizer: Free Software Foundation Europe, https://fsfe.org/

     The announcement for this celebration is published recently, and
that is the reason for this message to be published today in the
GNU/Linux Trisquel forum.  But, what about the rest?  The rest of the
ITC Freedom celebrations are in Limbo - and not for not being announced
yet for 2019, but because their sites in the world wide web are down
since at least January the 1st.  Save for a brief interlude of some days
where the websites are up, and where it is possible to check up that the
only celebration announced for 2019 is Document Freedom Day, the rest of
the time they are down.  What do these three down sites have in common?
 They are run by the Digital Freedom Foundation, same as the two non-ITC
days (Free Education Day and Free Culture Day).  Their website,
http://www.digitalfreedomfoundation.org/ , is down too. This situation
also happens in 2016.

    To sum it all up, Freedom Celebrations need to be better cared for.

Ignacio Agulló · agullo at ati.es