[Trisquel-users] Munich gives up on GNU/Linux and free/open source software

adfenohuvlov at riseup.net adfenohuvlov at riseup.net
Sun Aug 31 19:08:57 CEST 2014

Em 2014-08-31 13:06, shiretoko at web.de escreveu:
> I want to stress the main point of my disagreement:
> "Once a user acknowledges she has fundamental freedoms that deserve to
> be  respected, she never goes back."
>
> This statement is wrong. It's just not true for the average user.
> The sacrifices she has to make are much too high.
>
> I wish the fsf would focus more on creating new free software
> oppurtinities  instead of telling people to stop using proprietary
> software. They won't,  even if they understand that freedom matters.
> This doesn't include not telling people about freedom like the
> opensource  movement does - I never claimed this.

My, my... I was hoping not to get myself into this mess since I'm not
using my computer (so I can't sign messages using OpenPGP), but since I
have half an hour left at this internet cafe (here called LAN house), I
have decided to reply.

Just as short as it can be, my answer is as follows:

We mustn't forget that the FSF isn't responsible for all the free
software projects. They can participate in some of them, but (as far as
I can see,) they're generally good at maintaining the Free Software
Definition and related articles.

If there isn't a software with some feature, but if there is a software
with similar goals, this usually means the project is still being
developed towards such goal, or that it's facing difficulties (like loss
of community support, contribution, or interest), or that it's being
blocked by other things (like software patents, closed standards (if
this even exists), non-standard implementations, legal issues, or even
philosophical issues (if such project decides to follow some definition
or guideline, like the Free Software Definition, or the Guidelines for
Free Software Distributions).

Best regards, ADFENO.
Have a nice day.