[Trisquel-users] Re : Munich gives up on GNU/Linux and free/open source software

magicbanana at gmail.com magicbanana at gmail.com
Sat Aug 30 14:15:03 CEST 2014

People in the free software movement do not care about "the principals Linux
upholds" or about "the Linux spirit of superior security"? They care about
the "the principals GNU upholds" and about "the four essential freedoms any
user deserves".

In this way, your post is a good example of why only convincing new users
with "functionality and features" does not advance our battle. We end up with
GNU users who have never heard of GNU and who would leave free software as
soon as they find proprietary software that "offers more options" :
http://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-users-never-heard-of-gnu.html

We need to focus on our ideals, to talk about freedoms:
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

We have so many free software users but so few that understand the
social/ethical/political problem behind proprietary software. Most of them
use Firefox, VLC or LibreOffice on Windows. But even among those using
GNU/Linux, most of them do not see any problem in running proprietary
software (e.g., in the Linux kernel) and have never heard of GNU.