[Trisquel-users] Learning self-defense

gnuser at lavabit.com gnuser at lavabit.com
Fri Aug 29 21:19:10 CEST 2014

I'm sorry, but I believe that must not be correct. According to
https://tails.boum.org/doc/about/license/index.en.html
all their software is free software, and IIRC they even got rid of TrueCrypt
some time ago (because of the issues with it).
Also, since this is based on Debian main distro, I believe there would be no
blobs (since Debian removes those from the kernel). I might be wrong in this
one, maybe TAILS puts them back in, but I don't see any indication of that
anywhere (please provide a source if you can).
With all this in mind, I would consider TAILS as a free distro (at least as
free as Debian itself, which is another debate) and the BEST tool to use in
terms of OpSec. Actually, it is a good example to follow if you want to learn
self-defense. For example, some of the software they use (MAT, KeePassX, etc)
are available in the repositories and you should use them! :)

I am right now in the process of trying to convert Debian (native Debian, not
any rebranded distro) into a more secure and privacy oriented system. I have
decided that using Tor is not enough, so I started by taking a look at TAILS
and Whonix to get some ideas. I have also started to work with grsecurity and
AppArmor for improved security. the mempo project is also a good place to get
some ideas. All in all, there are many little things you can and should do to
improve your security online, without having to become a cracker (you have to
be a hacker however to do this kind of thing, which means you have to think
creatively and try to come up with new fun ways of doing things). There are
also some good talks from GNU hackers meetings, Defcon and HOPE talks, that
you could watch to learn the basics. I could provide some links if you want
:)