[Trisquel-users] New here ...

Adfeno Huvlov adfenohuvlov at riseup.net
Fri Aug 22 15:30:25 CEST 2014

2014-08-22 08:27:06, knut.erik at hollund.org:
> Hi,
> Just wanna say "hi I'm new here".
> Was searching for a GNU/Linux distribution without any
propiritary blobs or
> other non free software and ended up with now trying trisquel.
I'm pretty
> new to linux, well.... I was running debian on servers pretty
much back in
> the -90ties (95-2000), but then "lost the way". After a couple
of years now
> with reading and understanding where our sociaity is in terms
of free
> internet, survalliance , security, anonymity etc. I decided to
really try
> hard to use free software on my computers at home. Thanks to
the community
> for creation of trisquel.
>
> Tx and enjoy your day ....

Hi,

Be very welcome.

Feel free to ask questions whenever the need arises.

If you have read about free software, you might want to be aware
that it's not just about security or anonymity, but first about
"freedom" (which isn't the same as "gratis" or "open source"),
the four basic freedoms every computer user should have: to use
a software, to study it (through its source code, as well as the
source code of other software it depends on. This is where we,
as supporters of the free software movement differ from those
who support the open source software movement), to redistribute
it (through sharing, giving and selling), and to adapt it
(through its source code, as well as the source code of other
software it depends on. This is where we, as supporters of the
free software movement differ from those who support the open
source software movement).

Sometimes, a hardware/computer might not work with free
operating systems like GNU+Linux-libre Trisquel, this mostly
happens if the computer/hardware manufacturer doesn't respect
the users' freedom. So, the question is "Why this
computer/hardware manufacturer doesn't respect users' freedom?",
or "Why isn't this computer/hardware compatible with free
software?", and not "Why isn't free software compatible with
this computer/hardware?". (If you think this is called "free
hardware", please see the note below).

Note: According to Richard Stallman, the term "free hardware"
should be instead referred as "documented hardware". Hardware
must be documented so that free software can be designed to work
with it. End of the note.

Fortunately, there are organizations who sell computers which
respect the users' freedom, like ThinkPenguin
(https://libre.thinkpenguin.com/), LibreTrend
(https://www.libretrend.com/store/), GNU/Linux Computers
(GLUGLUG) (http://shop.gluglug.org.uk/), InaTux Computers
(please follow this link strictly. Their main site promotes non-
free software) (http://inatux.com/?gnu), and Los Alamos
Computers (http://laclinux.com/en/Start).

Best regards, ADFENO.
Have a nice day.

--
Assinatura automática – português brasileiro:
– Blogue: http://adfeno.wordpress.com/

Automatic signature – North American English:
– Blog: http://adfeno.wordpress.com/
– Please do not send me Microsoft Office or Apple iWork
documents. Instead, send OpenDocument documents!
http://fsf.org/campaigns/opendocument/
– If I don't wish you a nice day in my emails, my posts, or my
comments; this means that these were sent by third parties.