[Trisquel-users] I want to share this interview with RMS

J.B. Nicholson-Owens jbn at forestfield.org
Fri Aug 22 04:33:35 CEST 2014

I think http://snowdenandthefuture.info/ is the source site for that
material. I favor http://snowdenandthefuture.info/ over YouTube because
snowdenandthefuture.info doesn't require you to accept cookies,
encourage users to install Flash, accept non-free media formats, or be
tracked by Google. Also, http://snowdenandthefuture.info/ has
transcripts of the talks.

I encourage listeners to recall what the public knew about the NSA in
2007: we didn't have the benefit of Snowden's documents. We knew what
other NSA whistleblowers were saying and that certainly was enough to
take action, but Snowden's documents were concrete evidence of an
organized spying going on at a level beyond what most understood to
happen. I don't recall anyone publishing such details before Snowden.

I also encourage listeners to not let the style become the focus of
consideration but consider the substance of what is said. O'Reilly
shills for "open source" and unwilling to seriously engage in any
freedom talk (just as the open source movement was designed to do). It's
not that O'Reilly could only have done what he did without freedom talk,
these were choices he made; O'Reilly chose to favor developmental
methodology and not champion software freedom for its own sake.