[Trisquel-users] Can't install Trisquel 7

jbar at openmailbox.org jbar at openmailbox.org
Thu Aug 21 21:52:03 CEST 2014

I had a similar issue installing Trisquel 7 with the netinst iso. It failed
when installing grub.

I solved it installing grub from a live cd. To do so, boot from a live cd and
type the following in a terminal (I assume Trisquel is installed in /dev/sda
hard drve and the root partition is /dev/sda1):

$ sudo su
# TARGET=/media/sda1
# mkdir -p $TARGET
# mount /dev/sda1 $TARGET
# mount --bind /dev     $TARGET/dev
# mount --bind /dev/pts $TARGET/dev/pts
# mount --bind /proc    $TARGET/proc
# mount --bind /sys     $TARGET/sys
# chroot $TARGET /bin/bash

This places you in a root terminal on the trisquel system. Do whatever you
want to do there, e.g. re-install grub.

# grub-install /dev/sda
# update-grub

To exit from chroot

# control-D

This brings you back to where you were in the live session and you can
unmount

# umount -l $TARGET/dev/pts
# umount -l $TARGET/dev
# umount -l $TARGET/proc