[Trisquel-users] Cannot install GNOME Shell on Trisquel 7 I18N 64-bit.

garsmith at muchomail.com garsmith at muchomail.com
Wed Aug 20 20:51:55 CEST 2014

I tried this and it didn't work. I get to choose GNOME at login but only
loads background and shows network notifications up right corner.
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install gnome-session gnome-shell

I then tested this because my thinking was that Trisquel 7 is based on Ubuntu
14.04 and it will probably work. And it did, after the commands above.
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2014/05/upgrade-gnome-3-12-ubuntu-14-04

Quoting omgubuntu command:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3-staging
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

I have done some testing on a fresh install and this works for me.
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3-staging
sudo apt-get install gnome-session gnome-shell
(Tested logout and choose Gnome. Same as above. Rebooting)
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
(Log out, choosing Gnome and it works)

Trisquel 7 20140807 i18 amd64 is running Gnome 3.12.2 here.