[Trisquel-users] Munich gives up on GNU/Linux and free/open source software

nux at blueyonder.co.uk nux at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Aug 20 08:56:44 CEST 2014

A problem with this is that whilst it's relatively easy to get all the
proprietary software for free from torrent sites, there is no motive to try
libre software other than from a moral point of view. So you could try to get
youngsters to try Ardour and free synths, but if they can get Reason and
Cubase and all those fabulous VST plugins, for free, they'll not see any
reason to change.

Awakening a sense of overriding morality is what seems to me to be the need.
When people think along the lines of "so what if I can get proprietary
software for free, that just taints me and all I produce" we might start to
get somewhere, but awakening that in people who live in a world where
morality is regarded as a quaint affectation for weak people will be a
Herculean task. A good proportion of Linux users don't care about proprietary
vs libre - I know, I've argued with lots of them. They just don't want to
know and get aggressive if you press the point.
A few months back I came across a review for yet another Debian Testing based
distro (people seem to have forgotten what Testing means) stuffed with all
the proprietary drivers and libraries and plugins. The creator became most
aggressive when I suggested that he had added nothing to Linux but had, in
fact, only made things worse, as he hadn't even bothered to leave a note
explaining the differences and offering his users a chance to make an
informed choice. All he had done is compact the idea that "Linux means
avoiding paying Microsoft" and nothing else.
Convenience trumps morality in this day and age.