[Trisquel-users] Trisquel 7 Keyboard indicator.

mampir at lavabit.com mampir at lavabit.com
Sun Aug 17 17:48:57 CEST 2014

Hi!

I also had problems with the keyboard layouts.

When I installed, I was't able to see which layout I'm using and wasn't able
set a key shortcut for switching between layouts.

After experimenting, I was able to use "ibus-setup" to fix both issue -
partly.  You can start ibus-setup from a terminal.

With ibus-setup you can put a layout switcher on the desktop panel, but it
doesn't show the current layout.

In "System Settings -> Region & Language -> Input Source" it redirects to
"Keyboard Shortcuts" for setting a shortcut for switch layouts.  But setting
a shortcut like this doesn't actually work.

 From ibus-setup you can set a shortcut for switching between layouts,
although the interface is awkward.

On my side, I fixed both issues by installing GNOME Shell.  It seems that
GNOME Shell is just better maintained.  It has an layout switcher button
which shows the current layout and you can set shortcuts for switching
layouts from the Keyboard Shortcuts settings.

I installed GNOME Shell with: sudo aptitude -R install gnome-shell

You can start GNOME Shell by setting a session from the login screen.

I also installed GDM, although it probably wasn't necessary: sudo aptitude
install gnome-shell

At first I had problems with login into a the GNOME session, so that's why I
installed GDM.  GNOME session only loads a blank desktop and a lone mouse
cursor.  I found out that I had to use the "System Defaults" session.

Lastly, I removed all ibus packages, because I don't think I really need
them.