[Trisquel-users] Rhythmbox Update Script

jason at bluehome.net jason at bluehome.net
Sun Aug 17 17:20:47 CEST 2014

 > I decided to rip all of my music CDs in a lossless format

But it sounds like you didn't do this? Rather, you converted the
already-ripped files (since you mentioned m4a.)

 > When run, the script will ask for the format of the old files. For
 > example, m4a. It will ask for the format of the new files. This will
 > likely be flac. I do not recommend transcoding from a lossy format to
 > another lossy format. This will result in a loss of quality.

I don't see the advantage to doing this: Going from a lossy-encoded file into
a lossless one means that you now have a MUCH bigger file, but you don't get
the quality benefits because it's still the same sound as the original
(lossy) file. If someone really wants to use FLAC it's best to go back to the
original CD and convert it from there, not from the encoded file that's
already had stuff ripped out of it. Converting the already-encoded one to
FLAC isn't going to gain you anything but a MUCH bigger file. The stuff that
was ripped out during the lossy encoding process is still gone.