[Trisquel-users] Trisquel 7 Keyboard indicator.

Quiliro Ordóñez Baca quiliro at congresolibre.org
Thu Aug 14 21:52:01 CEST 2014

El 14/08/14 a las 13:22, mve1 en runbox.com escibió:
> Thank you for the answer Quiliro!
>
> I found a manual titled "How To Ask Questions The Smart Way" by Eric
> Steven Raymond. Is this the one you mentioned? I tried for
> "intelligent questions manual," but I didn't find one with that name.
> Well, if that's the one, I will read it. Thank you for the
> recommendation. I don't post much on forums, and I'm not such a
> technically competent person. Thank you for the guidance.

You are a very good student! It is a pleasure to help you.

In Spanish I remembered "Como hacer preguntas inteligentes". So I messed
up the name. The one you found is exactly the one you found.
Congratulations. You have applied some of the principles in that article
already. :-)

> [...]
> to panel + option) but there are no others related to the keyboard as
> far as I can tell. Available options are:
>
> * Invest
> * Keyboard Accessibility Status
> * Lock Screen
> * Log Out
> * Main Menu
> * Menu Bar
> * Notification Area
> * Null applet
> * Power Off
> * Run Application
> * Search for Files...
> * Separator
> * Show Desktop
> * Sticky Notes
> * System Monitor
> * Trash
> * User menu
> * Window List
> * Window Selector
> * Workspace Switcher
>
> - I tried installing a package named xkb thinking it would provide a
> different indicator, but it did not.
>
> - I have checked in Synaptic Package Manager, and the following
> packages related to keyboard indicator are installed:
>
> 1) indicator-keyboard version 0.0.0+14.04.20140410.1-0ubuntu1
> 2) gkrellm-xkb version 1.05-5
>
> - I have looked at system settings > keyboard and there is no option
> for the indicator.
>
> - I have looked at system settings > Region and Lanugage > Input
> Sources, but there is no option to turn the keyboard indicator on.
> Looking through forums I have seen a screencap of ubuntu Input Sources
> settings. It looks very similar to the one in Trisquel, but it has an
> option to tick for showing the keyboard indicator (at the bottom of
> the screen).
>
> - I have looked through the System Settings > Tweak Tool. The only
> option I found that could be related was in the "Keyboard and Mouse"
> section. I enabled the option called "Show all Input Sources." Nothing
> visibly changed.
>
> - For the shortcuts I tried several different ones in: All Settings >
> Keyboard Shortcuts. None switched the keyboard layout. I have also
> tried setting a shortcut through the Tweak Tool > Typing > "Switching
> to Another Layout" option. This didn't work either.
>
> - I have found several threads in other forums talking about a bug in
> Gnome 3.8.x wherein the keyboard indicator is absent. These all range
> between May and Dec. 2013. This is one such thread
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-shell/+bug/1184564.
> None of the threads had any clear solutions. The one I pasted mentions
> adding a Gnome 3 Staging PPA, but the launchpad link states:

> === *WARNING* ===
> The packages here have been deemed not ready for general use, they
> have known bugs and/or regressions, sometimes of a critical nature.
> Mostly things should run smoothly but be prepared to use ppa-purge,
> when you encounter issues!
>
> If they break your system, you get to keep both halves.

It is risky for your freedom to use repositories that do not test for
your freedom. If you are just playing and will reinstall the OS or know
how to remove everything, then go ahead and test.

Did you try this?
Open System Settings and click Region & Language
Switch to the Layout tab.
Click the + button to add additional keyboard layouts
(from
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-shell/+bug/1045914/comments/49
)

Does this problem happen in the live CD? Take not of the exact steps you
take to reproduce the problem. They should be so exact that anyone will
get the same result if they follow them.

--
Saludos libres,
Quiliro Ordóñez

Se depur�� un adjunto no texto...