[Trisquel-users] Trisquel 7 - suspend issues

nux at blueyonder.co.uk nux at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Aug 9 09:05:18 CEST 2014

I can get T7 to suspend, but it cannot cope with resuming. Symptoms are -
desktop is visible but everything other than the cursur is locked solid. No
keyboard commands work, nothing is clickable.
I looked at the advice on the issue, tried a couple of of the quirks - no
change. They all relate to video cards I don't have. On other distros the
network connection (eth0 - wired) comes back up quickly. On Trisquel it
doesn't. Not sure if that's related to the hangs, so I disconnected prior to
suspending but the resume was the same as before.

For the record, also on this HD is Voyager Linux (a Xubuntu spin), it
suspends and resumes perfectly as have slackware, ROSA, assorted manjaro's
and elementaryOS. So it's not the hardware. I tried going back to the nouveau
driver on Voyager to see if it was a video card issue, but suspend still
worked fine.

So, I'm presuming this is the lack of a proprietary blob? From memory, when
installing Debian on this box, I had to install the non-free firmware
package. I downloaded the Ubuntu 14.04 firmware package but dpkg would not
let me install it. I tried the command with --force-breaks and
--force-conflicts but every time it complained about pre-existing firmware
from the open-firmware packages and refused to install.

I had got into the habit of suspending the machine instead of powering it
down as it's quicker when I come to power it back up again. I don't suppose
it's a deal breaker, but it's annoying.
It's hard not to end up thinking 'if I have to put a proprietary blob on it
to get proper functionality then where does that end? With the nvidia
drivers? Flash?" And before I know it I'm back to where I am with other
distros that come with all the proprietary stuff preinstalled and then what's
the point in using Trisquel?
I suppose it just comes down to power it off instead of suspending it, but
it's proper irritating.