[Trisquel-users] Tehnoetic wireless USB adapter awarded with FSF's RYF certificate

chris at thinkpenguin.com chris at thinkpenguin.com
Sat Aug 9 03:32:19 CEST 2014

These are not free software friendly and would not work in Trisquel. Not to
mention they have poor support in GNU/Linux in general should you install the
non-free components. The quality is also extremely poor on these cheap
adapters.

Honestly the best choice for a wifi adapter is not this mini adapter anyway.

The best choice is one of three adapters in our catalog is:

https://www.thinkpenguin.com/gnu-linux/penguin-wireless-n-usb-adapter-w-external-antenna-gnu-linux-tpe-n150usbl

Or if you have a dual band router:

https://www.thinkpenguin.com/gnu-linux/penguin-wireless-n-dual-band-usb-adapter-gnu-linux-tpe-nusbdb

If you don't mind a USB G wifi adapter I'd also highly recommend this (even
over the USB N mini adapter in many cases):

https://www.thinkpenguin.com/gnu-linux/penguin-wireless-g-usb-adapter

While USB G is getting older it still is a better solution for most people.
Most people have a bottleneck at the internet access point and as such the
USB G adapter is a better choice. They gain nothing from going with N and the
penalty for such a small adapter is limited range. The USB G adapter above
has a better range. Another reason I love this adapter is pretty much
everything derived from the mainline Linux kernel without exception will work
out of the box and it almost doesn't matter how old the distribution is
either as support goes back several years. The reason for this adapter having
better support is that distributions don't have to deal with firmware (even
when it is free it has to be included in the distribution) related issues in
the few remaining instances where that is still a problem. There is no other
adapter that is better supported by free software systems for basic internet
access purposes than the USB G adapter above. The next best option is the
TPE-N150USBL.