[Trisquel-users] Xfce 4.10 without display manager on trisquel 7

amrprznu at sharklasers.com amrprznu at sharklasers.com
Sat Aug 9 01:22:12 CEST 2014

I don't have time to go through all the process right now (I will continue
later), but basically, you have to do this (use with care, and let me know if
it worked; more references will come):

Remove any display manager

Make sure there is no $HOME/.xinitrc (or that it sources /etc/X11/Xsession)

Install all of xfce4 that you like

Install lxpolikit (just to make sure)

Install libpam-ck-connector [as per https://wiki.debian.org/Xfce]

Add the following before pam_ck_connector.so
to /etc/pam.d/common-session [https://wiki.debian.org/Xfce] (disregard the
lines with ---):
--- File begins ---
--- File continues ---
session   optional  pam_loginuid.so
--- File continues ---
session optional        pam_ck_connector.so nox11
--- File continues ---
--- File ends

Make sure that there is no ~/.bash_profile or ~/.bash_login

Create a $HOME/.profile [to be referenced]:
--- File begins ---
# ~/.profile: executed by the command interpreter for login shells.
# The login to a virtual terminal without a display manager is handled
# by upstart in Trisquel and Ubuntu by means of the /etc/init/ttyXX.conf
# files. These normally run getty (agetty) which "opens a tty port,
# prompts for a login name and invokes the /bin/login command"
# [man getty].
# This file is not read by bash(1), if ~/.bash_profile or
# ~/.bash_login exists.
# see /usr/share/doc/bash/examples/startup-files for examples.
# the files are located in the bash-doc package.
#
# the default umask is set in /etc/profile; for setting the umask
# for ssh logins, install and configure the libpam-umask package.
#umask 022

# if running bash
if [ -n "$BASH_VERSION" ]; then
     # include .bashrc if it exists
     if [ -f "$HOME/.bashrc" ]; then
	. "$HOME/.bashrc"
     fi
fi

# set PATH so it includes user's private bin if it exists
if [ -d "$HOME/bin" ] ; then
     PATH="$HOME/bin:$PATH"
fi

# No display manager autologin with Xfce4
# Check that no display managers exist
if [ -f /usr/bin/startxfce4 ] &&\
    [ ! -f /etc/lxdm/lxdm.conf ] &&\
    [ ! -f /etc/xdg/lubuntu/lxdm/lxdm.conf ] &&\
    [ ! -f /etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc ] &&\
    [ ! -d /etc/lightdm ] &&\
    [ ! -d /etc/gdm ]; then
         [[ -z $DISPLAY  && $XDG_VTNR -le 2 ]] && exec startx -- vt$XDG_VTNR
fi
--- File ends ---

Create $HOME/.xsession [to be documented]:
--- File begins ---
if [ -f /usr/bin/startxfce4 ] &&\
    [ ! -f /etc/lxdm/lxdm.conf ] &&\
    [ ! -f /etc/xdg/lubuntu/lxdm/lxdm.conf ] &&\
    [ ! -f /etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc ] &&\
    [ ! -d /etc/lightdm ] &&\
    [ ! -d /etc/gdm ]; then
         ck-launch-session dbus-launch --exit-with-session startxfce4
fi;
--- File ends ---

May be (will check later) this to avoid permission issues other than
mounting, suspend, hibernate and power off in
/etc/polkit-1/localauthority.conf.d/60-desktop-policy.conf [man
pklocalauthority] (replace lisa or marge for your username, see manual of
polkit):
[Configuration]
AdminIdentities=unix-user:lisa;unix-user:marge

And that's the penguin!