[Trisquel-users] LibreTrend - My Vision of Free Software

Adfeno Huvlov adfenohuvlov at riseup.net
Tue Aug 5 21:41:53 CEST 2014

Thank you very much for your effort Luis.

I'm from Brazil, and the free software movement doesn't have
much popularity here. Some people can tall me that I'm wrong,
but I don't think so by seeing the majority of people actually
using or advertising non-free operating systems or non-free
software like GNU+Linux Ubuntu, GNU+Linux Debian, GNU+Linux
Educacional, GNU+Linux RedHat Enterprise, GNU+Linux Fedora, and
so on.

Well, this just makes me uncomfortable with the situation, this
uncomfortable feeling started in 2013, when I attended an event
called Festival Latino-americano de Instalação de Software Livre
("Latin American free software installation festival", in
Brazilian Portuguese), since I soon found out that it wasn't
about free software, but about open source software. This also
happens with other popular events related to the open source
software movement, like the Fórum Internacional de Software
Livre ("international forum for free software", in Brazilian
Portuguese).

Even Portal Software Livre ("free software portal", in Brazilian
Portuguese), which is a site from the Brazillian Government,
sometimes promotes the use of non-free software.

Also there is a site called Software Livre Brasil ("free
software Brazil", in Brazilian Portuguese) which serves as some
kind of social network where users can join communities, receive
certificates, post blog entries and so on. Even this site
appears to promote non-free software. Doing a search one can
find communities for some free operating systems, but they're
apparently dead, including the one about the Linux-libre kernel.
I created an account there, but removed it some months later
after finding that out.

And then we have the magazines, Espírito Livre ("free spirit",
in Brazilian Portuguese") is, perhaps, the most popular magazine
about the open source software movement.

Actually, I'm not the only one who noticed such problems (the
ones described in the previous paragraphs), there are some
people like Aracele Torres, Anahuac de Paula Gil, Alexandre
Oliva and many others that I forgot unintentionally, that also
noticed such problems. Unfortunately, I don't know them very
well, not even did I meet them personally, in order to think
about creating a company which promotes or uses only free
software, or to start a project or event. Besides, I live too
far from them, and I don't even have money to attend other
events besides Festival Latino-americano de Instalação de
Software Livre (I didn't even attend Fórum Internacional de
Software Livre yet)

Only considering forums and mailing lists for the free software
movement, I'm only subscribed to most of the mailing lists at
Free Software Latin America,  in this mailing list, in the
Minetest forums, and in this forum. That's all, because the
others aren't reliable per see.

Then there is the job market, where I'm struggling to get my
first job, but find myself blocked by annoying requirements such
as a driver's license (which I cannot have because I'm almost
visually impaired due to other minor cerebral problem),
programming knowledge (I don't like to program, sorry),
Photoshop, Windows, Corel DRAW, Adobe Flash Professional,
Microsoft Office, Adobe InDesign, Adobe Dreamweaver, Adobe
FrontPage, and so on. I do have certificates for most of these,
but I don't feel confortable knowing that it's been five years
since I received most of them, and I don't feel confortable
mainly because I don't like to use a non-free program just for
the sake of my stay at work.

Then, back to the population as a whole, no matter how hard I
try, most people don't listen to me when I explain the four
essential freedoms every software user should have. I do have
some successful cases like my aunt and my uncle who have
GNU+Linux-libre Trisquel 6.0 installed in their computers, plus
my lifetime support and my not-so-periodic system maintenance
and update, an installation CD and a letter explaining the
importance of free software, and, in the same letter, the
link/URI to download the CD source code. I also explained the
importance of the four essential freedoms to my cousin, and even
did the same things I did to my aunt's notebook and my uncle's
computer (upon her request of course), but since she's going to
sell her notebook, and I didn't get the time to speak with her
personally, I don't know if she likes it or not.

I can't open a company because I don't have a job, so I don't
have a cash income. And no, I'm not good at practical jobs like
driving, cooking, waiting, laundry, and so on.

Well, this is it. I hope some other Brazilian reads this.

Best regards, ADFENO.
Have a nice day.

--
Assinatura automática – português brasileiro:
– Blogue: http://adfeno.wordpress.com/

Automatic signature – North American English:
– Blog: http://adfeno.wordpress.com/
– Please do not send me Microsoft Office or Apple iWork
documents. Instead, send OpenDocument documents!
http://fsf.org/campaigns/opendocument/
– If I don't wish you a nice day in my emails, my posts, or my
comments; this means that these were sent by third parties.