[Trisquel-users] I've seen the apple conference of 2014 and I feel outraged.

abhijithb21 at gmail.com abhijithb21 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 03:44:48 CEST 2014

Yes, but they started these projects to make improvements in the OS.

MkLinux was the first attempt by Apple to support a free and open source
software project. The work done with the Mach 3.0 kernel in MkLinux was
extremely helpful in bringing up NeXTSTEP on the Mac platform, which would
later become OS X.

OS X is based on the Mach 3.0 microkernel, designed by Carnegie Mellon
University, and later adapted to the Power Macintosh by Apple and the Open
Software Foundation Research Institute (now part of Silicomp). This was known
as osfmk, and was part of MkLinux (http://www.mklinux.org). Later, this and
code from OSF’s commercial development efforts were incorporated into
Darwin’s kernel. Throughout this evolutionary process, the Mach APIs used
in OS X diverged in many ways from the original CMU Mach 3 APIs.

You may find older versions of the Mach source code interesting, both to
satisfy historical curiosity and to avoid remaking mistakes made in earlier
implementations.

— Apple, Inc., Kernel Programming Guide: Mach API Reference

Source :-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MkLinux#cite_note-AppleKernelProgrammingGuide-3