[Trisquel-users] Searching amazon with duckduckgo and abrowser sends relevant information to amazon

Stefano pietranera at gmail.com
Mon Jul 22 09:30:03 CEST 2013

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 5:25 AM,  <mikko.viinamaki at students.turkuamk.fi> wrote:
>>So, now the amazon guys know that I have searched that page using DDG *and*
>> I am a Trisquel user. Great.
>
> File a bug. Seems to be a "feature" of the search plugins. [1]

Sort of, I don't think there's much that trisquel can do this is
something that happens server-side. The DDG
searches from trisquel always have the 'trisquel' string in their queries, e.g.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=free+software+foundation&t=trisquel

This is, I think, due to an agreement between DDG and trisquel. If you
use Ubuntu instead, you'll see a string saying "canonical".

> In this case they also get the HTTP referer header [2], as always when you
> click a hyperlink. That is if you haven't blocked it. A way around this is
> to not click a link but right click, copy link and then paste it to a new
> tab. (blacklist) There are also addons to muck with the referer.

I know about the referer. But the query is not generated when you
click the link, it's already in it.

In any case, I just wanted to let the other users know about this.

Best,

--
Stefano