[Trisquel-users] Novena - open laptop

Andrew R. andrew.roffey at connect.qut.edu.au
Mon Jul 8 11:22:25 CEST 2013

On 08/07/13 17:58, dadix wrote:
> "We are building an open laptop, with some wacky features in it for
> hackers like me." Read more at this blog:
>
> http://www.bunniestudios.com/blog/

Considering there are very few (if any) ARM computers that can be run
with free software, this *appears* to be pretty good (although I'm
hardly authoritative on this subject).

It has a Vivante GC2000 GPU which can apparently boot without a blob
(the wiki says it is "functional" without a blob, but doesn't go into
specifics). There is an experimental (as of January) driver for this
chip called Etnaviv, which according to Phoronix (link below), aims to
*eventually* support 2D and 3D through reverse engineering.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTI3MjU

I don't know what the current state of the project is, but they have a
page at GitHub:
https://github.com/laanwj/etna_viv

and a Bitcoin address to donate to, which you can find at:
https://github.com/laanwj/etna_viv/wiki#donating

It uses a AW-NU137 wifi adapter which is now apparently supported by the
recently liberated ath9k_htc firmware.

There's a wiki for this laptop at this page:
http://www.kosagi.com/w/index.php?title=Novena_Main_Page

I don't know if Coreboot will work on it.

[Please correct me if I'm wrong on any of these points.]

Andrew.