[Trisquel-users] Hypothetical licensing question

gramex at openmailbox.org gramex at openmailbox.org
Fri Dec 13 18:05:27 CET 2013

If I modify program foobar, which is GPL licensed, how should the
copyright/license text look? If program X is licensed like this:

Copyright (C) 2004 John Jones

Foobar is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
(at your option) any later version.

You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along
with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc.,
51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA.

And I want to release my version under the GPL version 3, or any later
version, should (and can) I change the text to:

Copyright (C) 2004  John Jones
Copyright (C) 2013 ssdclickofdeath (my real name, instead)

This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or
(at your option) any later version.

along with this program.  If not, see http://www.gnu.org/licenses/.