[Trisquel-users] Re : Simple guide to make happy a GNU user

magicbanana at gmail.com magicbanana at gmail.com
Sat Dec 7 04:07:02 CET 2013

The fundamental problem is the definition of what is a "free software
distro". Here is the FSF's answer and why Debian does not satisfy it (yet?).
Why would the FSF have to lower its demands for the Debian project? It is
entitled to its own opinions!

1. As far as I know, Arch Hurd is still active. Gentoo used to have a Hurd
edition too. And, again, why does the Hurd matter that much to you? And why
would it matter to the point of making a difference in defining what is a
freedom-respecting distribution?

2. Linux-libre does not have the blobs you mention. For the user, that is
what matters. Of course, it would be better to have free software
replacements for those blobs... but I do not see how the Hurd, which
currently supports close to no hardware, represents a solution. If you are
afraid that the development of Linux stops and are sure that the Hurd will be
fully-developed ten years from now, then you should read more about those two
projects!

You should read the definition of the word "freedom" too. It definitely has
nothing to do with choice. If you are forced to follow what a third
organization writes (as you suggest), then you are obviously not free: that
organization controls you. Nobody here is "supporting" that. Stop mocking us.